Tilt and turn windows were originally designed in Germany, where they soon became the most popular choice of windows for homeowners, and it is easy to see why.
They have a mechanism that allows the window to either tilt upwards, allowing air into the room, or simply turns outwards.
Tilt and turn windows are designed differently from other styles. Germany has a higher standard than the UK when it comes to energy efficiency. In the UK, we usually guarantee products that are fit for purpose to last between 5-10 years. However, in Germany, they guarantee they will last much longer.
Why choose Tilt and Turn Windows?
Tilt and turn windows have a mechanism that not only allows efficient ventilation but also leaves enough room so you can use it as a fire escape.
You may be wondering how the windows are secure when opening in a tilted position! Each window has a mechanism that ensures a fixed inward tilt, and they also have an anti-slam mechanism that locks the window to prevent it from slamming shut, even in windy conditions. When the weather turns wet, you can rest assured that the rain is less likely to enter the property.
What are the benefits of tilt and turn windows?
- Tilt and turn windows are easy to clean, even from inside your property. There is no need for a ladder, especially if you live in an apartment or multi-storey house. Safety will not be an issue.
- Not only do tilt and turn windows offer inward or outward opening, but they also provide horizontal or vertical options. This will allow better views of the outside world.
- Even when tilted, the key lockable handle gives you extra security. Therefore, preventing children from having accidents and falling from open windows. Furthermore, in order for the window to function, the internal hardware needs to be more robust. The hinges that are installed will further secure the windows from being forced open from the exterior.
- The multi-locking mechanism will give you peace of mind when it comes to security. Even when the window is in the tilt position, it will become almost impenetrable.
- You will have enough space to guarantee any future works can be carried out with ease. For example, you may decide on installing multiple seals. This will ensure your windows are airtight. If you choose slimmer seals, they are less likely to be as efficient in way of air and water tightness.
- An obvious benefit is the type of ventilation you will receive. The tilt option will allow hot air to escape through the top part of the window, preventing strong breezes. The turn function creates plenty of air-flow for maximum ventilation.
- Tilt and turn windows will make your property look aesthetically pleasing. With a multitude of handles, colours and glazing to choose for, you will be spoilt for choice.
- If you prefer the minimal design, which a lot of our clients do, we can offer you the option of a hidden sash. This type of frame looks like a fixed window but still provides the function of an operable window.
- There are not too many restrictions on window sizes which is great news if you have a larger property. You can still benefit from amazing views of the outside world.
If you are still unsure if tilt and turn windows are for you, please don’t hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.